On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 20:24:59 +0000, Andrew N Wilt wrote:

>    ... Apparently, they are able to decipher the RDW records resulting from
> uploading a RECFM=VBS as a RECFM=U. Unfortunately, at this time, GDKUTIL
> doesn't have the smarts to parse the bytestream as RDW+data as it is writing
> to the output data set. That is a current Request For Enhancement, though.

It's not so hard.  The necessary format descriptions are in "Using Data Sets" (I
believe; perhaps also elsewhere.)  Long ago, I did an experiment; a PoC.  IBM
conveniently provided the input data in SMP/E SMPNTS which is exactly such
a bytestream representation of an IEBCOPY-unloaded data set, pax-compressed.
I uncompressed one with pax and allocated it as PATH(...) FILEDATA(BINARY)
RECFM(VB) LRECL(1000) ...  FILEDATA(BINARY) causes the BDW qnd SDW
images to be read as data (with EXECIO).  I was able to reorganize the 1000-byte
chunks into the original blocks.  In that era, EXECIO couldn't handle RECFM(U),
so I tried LMPUT.  First try  failed -- ISPF bug, fixed with APAR. (LMPUT had
been
unable to deal with RECFM(U) with data above 16 MiB.  The surprising repair was
that LMPUT was changed to copy the data below the line.)  I took the output data
set, overrode RECFM(U) to RECFM=VBS and successfully reconstructed the
PDS with IEBCOPY.

Tthe RFE should provide a set of utilities to convert various DSORGs to simple
bytestreams and back.  They should be pipe-savvy, and FTP client should be made
pipe-savvy to eliminate requirements for temporary data sets.  Better sftp,
which
is based on ssh, already pipe-savvy.  (But what about restart from broken
connection?)

All forbidden by Conway's Law.

--
gil