On 26/01/2023 10:40 am, Kirk Wolf wrote:
ISTR that distributed SAS has an option to read binary byte stream files with
BDW+RDWs, which is what you would get if the program were to produce a merged
RECFM=U DCB.

It does, but I can't see any reason to implement that other than to workaround IBM's broken FTP. It's easier to read data in record format with RDWs.

IBM FTP will do the right thing if you specify the SITE RDW option - I assume that the SAS RECFM U support was added before that was available.

EasySMF will automatically recognize RECFM=U, RECFM=V or TSO TRANSMIT format data, optionally in a gzip or zip file, and process it correctly. It will also recognize SMF data with no RDW and tell you what is wrong.

--
Andrew Rowley
Black Hill Software