The BookManager format (on z/OS at least) is a special output format from
the DCF (Document Composition Facility) SCRIPT command.  With OS/390
Softcopy Print you could print from the BookManager books but I never
thought the results were really great.  If you have the original source
text which will be in BookMaster, Starter GML, or just Script commands
format, I would start from there.

If it were me, and I had the original source for the documents I would
reformat them with DCF using the BookMaster profile and macro library (if
you still have it around), or the Starter Set GML profile and macro
library.  I would output to a DEV(AFPA) or DEV(AFP2A) format and then use
the afpxpdf transform that comes with the "IBM Print Transforms from
AFP" product that works with the Infoprint Server component of z/OS to
transform the AFP format to PDF.

If going from the BookManager format is your only option, the results are
going to be not as nice and more work.  If you can only convert a topic at
a time to PDF then maybe you could assemble them back into a PDF book with
Adobe Acrobat.  I don't have any experience with that.
--Roger