From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Laurence Chiu
Sent: Friday, March 3, 2023 9:34 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Running a Coupling Facility using a CP for a test Parallel Sysplex 0
anyh gotcha's?

[CAUTION: This Email is from outside the Organization. Unless you trust the
sender, Don't click links or open attachments as it may be a Phishing email,
which can steal your Information and compromise your Computer.]

The situation.

We share a couple of Z13's with another (larger client). Z13 B is where we run
our development LPARs and Z13 A is production.

For critical business reasons an online application on our production LPAR
needs to be highly available and that means in a parallel sysplex.  But our
outsourcer has told us it cannot be done for the following reasons because
there are no spare ICF engines on the host B - all are being used by other CF
instances, either to support production Sysplexes or development ones (not
ours).

Host A does potentially have a spare ICF engine we could use to support a
production parallel Sysplex but good practice does recommend you create a test
one first of course.

I then asked the question, if host A has a spare ICF engine, can't it be used
to support a CF to be used by the test Sysplex on B. I was advised this was not
possible since there are no spare connections between host A and Host B
(Infiniband possibly) so the Sysplex on B could not actually communicate with
the CF on A.

Our requirement for the Sysplex is primarily to be able to share a VSAM dataset
which is hit every time a transaction comes in with a peak of about 99tps. So
we would need VSAM RLS to share the dataset records between the two application
instances. There is no DB2, CICS or IMS so I think the only structures in the
CF are those to support VSAM RLS, maybe some XCF structures and core systems.

Knowing that we would only bring up the test sysplex to make sure transactions
routed correctly across the two LPARs and most of the time we would have one
member of the Sysplex off, I suggested that the test CF could be built using a
CP.  To this suggestion I received the following
(anti) advice
- there would be MSU costs (we don't care since we think the MIPS load on the
CF would be low). Plus we would ask that the CF be defined with Dynamic
Coupling Facility Dispatch and set DYNDISP=THIN. Since that CF is going to be
idling most of the time, MSU consumption is not going to be a major cost.
- it's strongly recommended not to do this by IBM. Yet when I read this document

https://apc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ibm.com%2Fdownloads%2Fcas%2FJZB2E38Q&data=05%7C01%7Callan.staller%40HCL.COM%7C1962ff1c13d7410924a708db1c617020%7C189de737c93a4f5a8b686f4ca9941912%7C0%7C0%7C638134977066659942%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=78DxD9grmMmrALQNItds2OaQ6Eyuv43mGVh5%2BoeqQnk%3D&reserved=0
the option is discussed in great detail and the only negatives are the
incurring of MSU costs and some performance degradation if both a z/OS and CF
LPAR are trying to use the same CP at the same time.  But this can be managed.

- that a CF running on a CP would need a dedicated CP engine and there are no
spare engines in host B. That totally flies against the information I have read
from IBM docs.

Of course for production the CF on host A would be configured to use an ICF
engine (or share one)

Finally, while I accepted the argument at the time there were no connections
between Host A and Host B, further reading suggests that you do not need to
dedicate channels for communications but use XCF or by using Infiniband sub
channels or sharing the same physical link with more than one Sysplex. Then the
issue of running the CF on a CP goes away since I can ask for two CF's to be
defined on host A, one for production and one for test and DCFC ensures that
that production CF is not impacted by the development one.

A lot to digest here but I really want to have some authoritative data in order
to refute most of the comments being our outsourcer.

Thanks

::DISCLAIMER::
________________________________
The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended
for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission.
The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore
not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or
opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and
may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any
form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written
consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have
immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for
viruses and other defects.