Gee, this is more of a nostalgia thread than most ...

My very first programming job, the tape librarian quit. (Remember tape
libraries and librarians and manual tape management?). Our boss was too cheap
to hire a replacement with any overlap in employment dates. So the new woman
started with no tape librarian experience. Everything seemed to be going well
for a couple of weeks ... until it turned out that if she got a scratch request
and could not find the volume -- perhaps it was lying on someone's desk or
something like that -- she would scratch the closest match she *could* find.
For example, if the scratch request was for VOLSER 274382 and she couldn't find
it, she might scratch 274383 because it was the closest match she could find.
Just trying to do the best job she could ...

Charles