Ed J wrote
<snip>
What about MACHMIG? Do you turn off the bit(s) corresponding to a
facility that we wish to pretend does not exist via LOADxx specification?
</snip>

And it's fair to wonder. We do "cheat" and turn off facility bits in "our copy"
that relate to facilities that the customer, via MACHMIG, has asked not to be
exploited for migration reasons. In practice, for those facilities it is not
relevant whether the facility bit is on, because there is an
operating-system-provided bit that is supposed to be checked to tell if it is
OK with the OS for you to use it. IHAFACL, for example, has this comment for
facility bit 129: "Even if this bit is on, do not use the VEF unless bit CVTVEF
is on".

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design