From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
René Jansen [rene.vincent.jan...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2023 4:01 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Stop the ragging on COBOL please [was: RE: ASM call by value]

It is very probable that he only liked ALGOL 58 and ALGOL 60, for which he (and
Jaap Zonneveld) made the first compiler (for the Electrologica X1), in an old
school building in a small street, the Boerhaavestraat in Amsterdam, which I
can see from my window across the river right now. The building does not have
any marking, which is a bit of a shame.

We know what happened with ALGOL 68, and see also Edsger’s opinion on the
document describing it:

https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cs.utexas.edu%2Fusers%2FEWD%2Ftranscriptions%2FEWD02xx%2FEWD230.html&data=05%7C01%7Csmetz3%40gmu.edu%7C274c6488bc9d4dd4b8ce08db2f62ba66%7C9e857255df574c47a0c00546460380cb%7C0%7C0%7C638155873317274253%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=I8uDwNmppE9wKncU2LOeEoEJG%2BlOu%2BoSE6DoRnwwyhQ%3D&reserved=0

best regards,

René.