During my early training we were sent to learn Michael Jackson structured
programming. MJ quotes Dijkstra a lot, however, I didn't realise that he
was a PL/I hater. That was the first language I learned and still think it
was a masterpiece. I encountered COBOL after I left IBM and it happened to
be Microfocus COBOL, a very odd variant designed for Z80/CPM based
microcomputers. It barely did the job since it only supported a rudimentary
ISAM file system. A couple of years later as our software house was going
broke, I went for an interview for a DOS/VSE COBOL role. The customer was
doubtful that my MF COBOL would translate to a mainframe role. It didn't
prove to be a problem but oh how I wished it had been a PL/I shop.

Inverted programs in COBOL? Blech..

On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 4:27 PM Tony Harminc <t...@harminc.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 at 23:22, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think it was flippant Edsger W. Dijkstra  quote:
> >
> >      “The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should,
> > therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense.”
>
> Dijkstra wasn't hot on a lot of languages:
>
> "If Fortran has been called an infantile disorder, PL/I must be
> classified as a fatal disease."
> -Edsger Dijkstra in Introduction to the Art of Computer Programming
>
> Which prompted, or at least provided a juicy quote for, Ric Holt's
> 1972 paper "Teaching the Fatal Disease (or) Introductory Computer
> Programming Using PL/I".
>
> > I use programming languages that I don't like all the time. C, in
> > particular, I dislike a lot. That doesn't mean they're not useful.
>
> Whew! And I thought you were a C fanatic. Thanks for disabusing me of that.
>
> Tony H.

Wayne V. Bickerdike