On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 at 04:53, Rupert Reynolds <rreyno...@cix.co.uk> wrote:

> For pairs of digits, I was thinking of commas as often used in India, where
> an EV6 costs 60.95 Lakh,  (Lakh is a multiple 100,000). In Rupees it's
> quoted as Rs 60,95,000.
>
> The next multiple bigger is another factor of 100. The only group of 3
> digits is for units, tens and hundreds.
>
> Of course there are international businesses using groups of 3 in India as
> well.
>
> At least it's base 10ten*! I read about some country using quinary, but
> none so far using bakersdozenal.

Well... PL/I-F has a STERLING data type for pounds, shillings, and
pence (LSD). Now that's not decimal! Actually it's an example of the
more general idea of mixed-base number systems, of which time/calendar
representations are the most well known.
The APL language has convenient and general operators for dealing with
mixed-base data.

Tony H.