Gil asked if the location linked to by Shmuel is the right place for the doc
about the case of no PARM.

To be clear, that location is here:
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.5.0?topic=list-program-in-primary-asc-mode
within the assembler services guide linkage conventions section.

This is the right place. But only because the place you'd look (the JCL book's
definition for PARM and PARMDD) links to it. We don't want the information in
multiple places, and the linkage conventions section is a good place for it to
land.
Thanks to the question, we noticed that the links from PARM and PARMDD are not
the same (PARM's link gets you to the book itself with no information about
where in the book - I hate that). PARMDD's link gets you to the containing
section
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.5.0?topic=conventions-passing-information-through-parameter-list

That's a lot better because it's a lot closer. At a minimum, we'll update the
two to be consistent.

If I were guiding someone to this area, in words, I'd say go to the assembler
services guide's section for conventions for passing information through a
parameter list, and then to the subsection for a program in primary ASC mode.
I'd have the link be to that specific section. I don't know if the link'ing
functionality works that way, but that's my goal anyway.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design