On Thu, 6 Apr 2023 16:16:24 +0000, Peter Relson wrote:

>Gil asked if the location linked to by Shmuel is the right place for the doc
>about the case of no PARM.
>
>    ... We don't want the information in multiple places,

Usually I agree rather strongly with that principle.  It makes maintenance
of the document more robust with less effort and spares the user the
chore of reading multiple very similar descriptions, looking for minute
differences.  However ...

> and the linkage conventions section is a good place for it to land.

There's a joke that says, "A bore is a person who, if asked 'what time
is it?' would start telling you how to build a clock!"  For programmers
who want only to know what is the effect on their programs when
PARM= is omitted, Shmuel gave the right answer, "empty string".
Such people don't care about "linkage conventions" or the construction
of clocks.

The Services Guide says, "If the PARM field was omitted in the EXEC
statement, the count is set to zero."  If it further added the phrase,
"as if PARM=''" had been coded," I'd have to agree (grudgingly) the
right information for the target audience was provided, but in the
wrong place.  It belongs in the JCL Ref.

As for the RCF on function as opposed to content, the hyperlink
(anchor) on the HTML page works for me, as I suspect it does for you.
Can you use the hyperlink in the PDF document?  For me, it gives
""HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request".  Does it work for anyone, with any
viewer?  If so, it's an SR for my viewer(s).  If not, it's an RCF for
Tech Dcs.

--
Thanks for your investigation,
gil