On Fri, 7 Apr 2023, at 13:23, Bill Johnson wrote:
> I’ve read numerous articles and analysis that indicates LinkedIn has a
> problem with embellished & fake resumes. Here’s one.
>
> https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/29/linkedin-has-a-fake-profile-problem-can-it-fix-this-blot-on-its-cv

I'm sure that's true ... but I'd think that many people's listings are
basically
correct ... because their own peers will force them to be honest.

And, do you think I'm an idiot?

Without social media one had nearly no way to find things out about local
architects, lawyers etc.  With, one at least has a few pointers with which one
can google local newspapers, trade organisations etc.  Of course not all of
what one finds is credible, but not all that many people who've claimed to
work for local company X or participated in local event Y have also built a
complete online fake trail of supporting evidence in their local (or tech)
communities.

> I also don’t like having my information on the internet for all to see

No, well I guess one has to decide how much to post.

It's like deciding whether to post (everywhere) under one's real name or
to use nicknames in some or all places.  I decided in the 1990s that I
would use my real name and stand by what I wrote, even though it'd
have been a lot easier sometimes (when I offended someone or got
completely the wrong end of some stick) to have been able to hide
behind some level of anonymity.

But eg I do blur out identifyng details on photographs I share with
people.  I don't put my home address in my email signature - some
people seem not to see the risk in doing that and then telling the
world they're going on holiday...

> I’m not on Facebook

OTOH you're probably not somewhere between bed- & house-bound
with nearly no in-person social life either.  But for people who are, the
various social-media platforms make one feel much less isolated, and
it's done wonders for patient-support communites as well.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.