From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Jeremy Nicoll [jn.ls.mfrm...@letterboxes.org]
Sent: Saturday, April 8, 2023 12:02 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Call by value, final

On Sat, 8 Apr 2023, at 15:54, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Apr 2023 04:27:04 +0000, Frank Swarbrick wrote:
>>
>>    ...  The assembler seems OK with it, but the linker is converted to upper
>> case, even though I've specified CASE(MIXED).
>>
> I'm surprised.  In an experiment long ago I was able to create a member
> in an (old-fashioned) PDS simply with CASE(MIXED); NAME lower.

I'm sure I recall that some of the SMP/E work PDSes had member names that
not only were mixed case but also included characters that you'd not see in
PDSs processed via standard ispf utilities.  I can't quite remember if they used
every single byte value in each of the 8 character positions, but I think they
might have done, thus allowing 256 ** 8 different member names.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.