Reminds me of a coworker at an insurance company in Ohio I worked at a couple
times.  He'd write down a list of user IDs on a scrap of paper, walk the paper
back to my desk and ask me to investigate some aspect of them.  As this kept
happening, I started asking him why he didn't just forward the original email
rather than writing down the IDs and then making me enter them into my terminal
again.  I think it was just his habit.

Finally I put my foot now:  Not accepting any more scraps of paper.  Send me
the email!  He did it, too.  Maybe he was just old-fashioned.  Maybe he still
is.

When I first started reading the reasons we should all adopt Windows, two of
the reasons didn't impress me.  One was the "consistent user interface".  I'd
been using WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, Harvard Graphics etc, and of course the
mainframe, and I didn't see any difficulty about using <PF3> for END on one and
<F3> for "find again" in another.  I still don't.  Consistent interface is
fine, but it's not a necessity in my view.

The other reason was the ability to cut and paste between different
applications.  I was contemptuous:  How hard does it have to be to type out a
phone number a second time?  Big deal.  Boy, was I wrong about that!

---

/* In Scripture the visitation of an angel is always alarming; it has to begin
by saying "Fear not".  The Victorian angel looks as if it were going to say
"There, there".  -C S Lewis, from a preface to _The Screwtape Letters_ */