On Mon, 17 Apr 2023 16:22:40 -0400, Bob Bridges  wrote:
>Finally I put my foot now:  Not accepting any more scraps of paper.  Send me
>the email!  He did it, too.  Maybe he was just old-fashioned.  Maybe he still
>is.

You're lucky.  He might have scanned the scraps of paper and emailed you TIFFs.

>When I first started reading the reasons we should all adopt Windows, two of
>the reasons didn't impress me.  One was the "consistent user interface".  I'd
>been using WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, Harvard Graphics etc, and of course the
>mainframe, and I didn't see any difficulty about using <PF3> for END on one
>and <F3> for "find again" in another.  I still don't.  Consistent interface is
>fine, but it's not a necessity in my view.

I'm mixed:  I once mapped my 3270 PF keypad to resemble the inverted "T" on many
desktop keyboards while having little sympathy for those who slavishly mapped
ENTER
to "Next Line" and "Right Ctl" to enter, etc.

And I hated that thing that tried to make END PF12 instead of PF3, etc.  "CUA"?
 STTL.

And I'm thoroughly that on my desktop system Ctl-C continues to mean SIGINT
and Copy Selection is Meta-C.

>The other reason was the ability to cut and paste between different
>applications.  I was contemptuous:  How hard does it have to be to type out a
>phone number a second time?  Big deal.  Boy, was I wrong about that!

But a URL?

--
gil