And, around here, it often leads to one programmer getting upset with
another because we restrict the number of initiators they can use due to
limited CPU resources. We generally don't have this problem with jobs
scheduled via our CA7 scheduling system because we are careful with it. Ah,
the joys of using a UNIX shell, where I can fork() around as I please and
do "background" work with the greatest of ease.

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

> I am NOT a shop sysprog so take this with a grain of salt but my
> *impression* is that the number of initiators, and the classes served, is a
> decision based on the "tuning" of various factors. The decision process
> includes the assumption that a job runs for some moderate amount of time,
> consuming CPU and I/O as it goes. When you have a job that "sits there
> forever" you upset those assumptions.
>
> It's not that an "idle" job consumes some sort of precious commodity like
> memory or CPU cycles; it's that it constitutes a "mis-application" (if you
> will) of a member of a finite set.
>
> Charles

This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If this had been an
actual emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown