Matt,
I had a similar problem.   Make sure you do not have the file open anywhere
else .. I think RACF takes an exclusive lock on it

I had a problem with the v3 version of openssl - the format of the binary
file was changed, and I think RACF did not support it.  Try shipping it as
a .pem file.
For example colin.cert..pesm starts with
 -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
 MIIDYzCCAkugAwIBAgIBVDANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQsFADBFMQ0wCwYDVQQKEwRURU1Q

Colin