On 24/5/2023 2:24 am, Seymour J Metz wrote:
Clocking and bus width are certainly important factors in performance, but they
are far from the only factors.

100% agree. Things are a lot more complicated with modern hardware.

My MacBook Pro has a 128-bit memory bus and supports 200GB/s memory bandwidth. The MacBook Pro Max tops out at 400GB/s. How does it do it? https://www.theregister.com/2020/11/19/apple_m1_high_bandwidth_memory_performance/

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Steve Thompson [ste...@wkyr.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2023 1:50 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Architectural questions [WAS: Are Banks Breaking Up With
Mainframes? | Forbes]

I'm not asking about cache lines, necessarily.

With the G3 chip set, as I recall, it had 256 byte wide cache
lines, and CPU <-> C-store was using a 256 byte bus while the
IOPs <-> C-store were using a 64 byte bus.

What makes one system faster than the other has to do with
clocking and bus width. So if RAM (C-Store) is running at say,
1/4 of the speed of the CPU, RAM is a bottleneck unless the cache
area is much faster so that it buffers C-Store fetch/write.

So knowing this about the other chip sets (non z) one can better
do modeling to see what the ratio is in "LPARs" or CECs between
the systems.

I've seen something like a 7 (AIX/Power) to 1 (z800) ratio and
the power system could not keep up on I/Os (bytes per second)
even though its I/O system was physically faster (for 1-4 fiber
optic connections) and the the z800 with slower fiber optic
connections actually could do more bytes/second xfer because of
how it was not BUS bound.

Steve Thompson