NOT with the quality of operators we had ...

Ed

On May 2, 2013, at 3:11 PM, Ed Jaffe wrote:

On 5/2/2013 12:46 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
Finding quality operators in the first place is always an issue. Having said that the nightmare of telling the difference between job AAAA and job AAAA is not easy and is just fraught with possibility of error and frankly in a shop where hundred (if not thousands) of jobs come in and out of a system in a shift is just too easy to make a mistake in any given minute.

If the same job name is used for different purposes and you have hundreds -- or even thousands -- of them coming through, then asking an operator to identify a job to be modified or cancelled by name, without the right tools to properly identify the owner and purpose of the job, is a recipe for disaster.

I have seen very, Very, VERY large JES2 installations -- one of our larger (E)JES JES2 customers runs a 13-member(!) production JESplex -- using duplicate job names. I know this because I have personally examined SVC dumps they have sent to us over the years. (Yes. I'll admit our software does sometimes produce dumps... :-[ )

I have seen very large JES3 installations doing this as well. They just seem to take it all in stride.

If they can handle it, so can you...

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc