Ah, yes, I remember now, we invoked it using ADVEN on the PDP-10, which used
36-bit words and 7-bit ASCII (hence 5 chars per word).  I, too, mapped out the
whole thing back in the late '70s, and I too have forgotten most of it since
then.

I well remember struggling to figure out the puzzle of the dragon.  THROW AXE;
"The axe glances harmlessly off the dragon's scales"  KILL DRAGON; "With what?
Your bare hands?"  FEED DRAGON; "There's nothing here it wants to eat (except
possibly you)."  After some days I gave up and peeked over another player's
shoulder while she worked her way casually through the parts of the maze she
already understood.

Two heads are definitely better than one in such games.  A friend and I were
both puzzled in the same part of the cavern.  I saw a lump of coal in the
corner and was instantly sure that it could be turned into diamond, so when I
ran across the thing that looked like a washing machine I figured I'd found the
right tool for it; but I couldn't figure out how to make it work.  There was a
coin slot, but it didn't seem interested in my coins.  Meanwhile David had very
easily understood how to make the "washing machine" work, but he couldn't
figure out what it was for.  It wasn't until we talked about it that we got the
whole picture.

Later we collaborated on Zork, with similarly productive results.

---

/* Men acquire a particular quality by constantly acting a particular way...
you become just by performing just actions, temperate by performing temperate
actions, brave by performing brave actions.  -Aristotle */