From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Bob
Bridges [robhbrid...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, July 3, 2023 5:59 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: z/OSMF

I once spent a pleasurable few days hacking (or rather trying to hack)
Colossal Cave's "magic mode".  The DEC-10 machine at the college I worked at
back then had very little security; I could <Ctrl-C> a program and then
examine the machine code at leisure.  I got quite a few steps into the
rather lengthy process of establishing myself as a "wizard", but didn't
finish before I ended up doing something else - taking another job somewhere
else, I think it was, but I don't remember for sure.

And yes, experimenting with various strategies in a complicated game is
often more fun than just playing it.  Once I discovered the application of
statistics to "games theory", I began to think it'd be fun to work on that.
But that was before I became a coder, which still keeps me interested.

Out of curiosity, did the game know what to do with "eat bird"?  I guess if
they were doing their job, the writers needed to match every verb with every
object and invent a result, just to satisfy people like you.

---

/* When the omniscient God asks you a question, it is not because He is
seeking information.  -from "The Final Quest" by Rick Joyner */