On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 14:16:27 -0400, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

>I recently ran into a question that I didn’t know the answer to.   The
>question was, what code page are dataset names and other z/OS artifacts coded
>in?  Since the special characters like #, $ and @ are different in codepages
>1047, versus 037, etc does z/OS use one code page for these artifacts and
>translate if a data set is created with JCL created with 1047 and is later
>accessed using an 037 code page for instance ?

How would it tell?  Would you expect a PRAGMA CCSID on the JOB statement?
Or the SUBMIT command recognizing the CCSID of your terminal?

I see no difference among these/  Are there others?

513 $ printf '#$@' | iconv -f UTF-8 -t CP1047 | od -tx1
0000000 7b 5b 7c
0000003
514 $ printf '#$@' | iconv -f UTF-8 -t CP037  | od -tx1
0000000 7b 5b 7c
0000003
515 $ printf '#$@' | iconv -f UTF-8 -t CP500  | od -tx1
0000000 7b 5b 7c
0000003

>I suspect someone out there has experience and knows the answer.

I hate EBCDIC!  Why isn't a basic character set invariant!?

--
gil