On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 14:16:27 -0400, Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org> wrote:
>I recently ran into a question that I didn’t know the answer to.   The
>question was, what code page are dataset names and other z/OS artifacts coded
>in?  Since the special characters like #, $ and @ are different in codepages
>1047, versus 037, etc does z/OS use one code page for these artifacts and
>translate if a data set is created with JCL created with 1047 and is later
>accessed using an 037 code page for instance ?

This came up just last week over on StackOverflow:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/76569347/what-are-the-supported-code-points-for-special-characters-for-valid-z-os-datas

Those three characters are the "national characters" that are, confusingly, the
same code points but different glyphs in different NLS code pages.   A note
about them in the JCL Reference at
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.5.0?topic=parameters-character-sets explains
that the characters supported are specifically "the U.S. National characters; @
as X'7C'; $ as X'5B'; and # as X'7B'" and lookalike characters on other
countries' terminals may cause errors.

Hyphen '-' and all the other special characters used in JCL, on the other hand,
should be invariant in all EBCDIC code pages. I haven't found documentation
saying so, but they're the same in all the code pages documented for the CMS
Pipelines XLATE stage. (Figure 401 at
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/SSB27U_7.3.0/pdf/c2462521.pdf)

And then there's the weird one that wasn't on the standard 3270 keyboard:
x'c0' is valid in data set names (but not catalog entries, so it can only be
used in uncataloged data sets) and member names. It's a left-bracket in some
pages, and a different-shaped left-bracket in APL, but a letter with a
diacritic in others. The JCL Reference specifies it at
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.5.0?topic=definition-unqualified-name as "a
character X'C0'", not by appearance at all.

¬R