> On 11 Jul 2023, at 10:41 am, kekronbekron
> <000002dee3fcae33-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
>
> A quick question -
> Will the same chtag command work for, say, Java packages/projects?

Yes

> Or, would I have to use chtag -R -tc UTF-8 if a project expects to things to
> be in UTF8?

I'd like to understand your reasons for wanting to encode your Java source
files in UTF-8. It's important to note that the default encoding on z/OS is
IBM-1047 (EBCDIC). We typically use ISO8859-1 and have to specify the
"-encoding iso8859-1" option when using the javac compiler. As mentioned
earlier, tagging files as UTF-8 can lead to unexpected issues, which is why
it's not commonly done. If you examine the file attributes of modern languages
like Python, Node.js, Go, etc., you'll notice that their source files are
tagged as ISO8859-1.

A while ago, one of our ported tools developers provided me with a detailed
explanation regarding the challenges associated with UTF-8 for ported tools.
Although I don't recall all the specifics, it had something to do with double
conversions. Therefore, the general rule of thumb is to avoid using UTF-8
unless it is necessary, such as when embedding a YAML document into a Java JAR
file.