In my customer's company, we had such a scheme for decades:

first letter X for external, S or L for division
next letter S or M or K ... for city (where the department is located)
then two digits department number (38, 91, 95, ...)
then three chars from the name (OPP in my case)

that made XS95OPP for me.

Easy to remember, even for the (some hundred) co-workers who knew me and needed to communicate with me over internal network or (today) via e-Mail. The mainframe user name is an e-Mail Alias, of course.

But really bad, if someone moves to another department or city; you either get rid of all your RACF rights
or the userid doesn't reflect the real allocations any more.

So now for some years, we have generic userids for the new users, which are allocated to RACF groups.

Because I left the company some years ago and returned later, I now have a userid, which doesn't tell anything; a simple 7-letter or digit sequence like CCBUG7E; this will stay the same, no matter if I move to another department. But no one can remember my userid; they always have to look it up in a web based application in the intranet (much more then 10.000 employees in Germany alone).

Kind regards

Bernd