One place I worked used the employee number as proof of identify when the help
desk proposed to help him with his password.  The employee ID was printed on
the photo ID we carried around.  As a security jock I never thought much of
that scheme; no better than SSN, in my opinion.

(The best scheme for that, at least that I've run into so far, is the policy of
a company I worked for a long time:  Any department that had at least 25 people
in it was required to have someone there scoped to update the passwords for
folks in that department.  So no need to prove my identity through some
hackable means:  I just walked up to Anna's desk and say "Anna, please fix my
password".  Since Anna knows me (or knows my voice over the phone), no issue.
I've been a fan of decentralized (but monitored) security ever since.)

---

/* It is hard enough, even with the best will in the world, to be just.  It is
hard, under the pressure of haste, uneasiness, ill-temper, self-complacency,
and conceit, even to continue intending justice.  Power corrupts; the
"insolence of office" will creep in.  We see it so clearly in our superiors; is
it unlikely that our inferiors see it in us?  How many of those who have been
over us did not sometimes (perhaps often) need our forgiveness?  Be sure that
we likewise need the forgiveness of those that are under us.  -C S Lewis, "The
Psalms" */