> On 19 Jul 2023, at 12:44 pm, kekronbekron
> <000002dee3fcae33-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:
>
> The "gift" is not containers but container tech... layering.
> Just lifting and shifting distributed tech onto mainframe, with no
> consideration of the extreme complexities is very wasteful.
> Container orchestration exists because some of those containers (or the hosts
> they may run on) may have a problem.
> How likely is that to happen on Z?
> I know there's also the thing about service boundary, isolation etc. but do
> we really need all of that, totally ignoring equivalent patterns that already
> exist in zOS?

There are a lot of very wise an experienced folks who have quite clearly stated
that conatainers are critical to the future of z/OS.

> Yes, zCX lets you treat a container as just another address space.
> But at the added complexity of container-related setup itself that needs to
> happen within/across zCX.
> With native containers being controlled with systemd (which will be possible
> if LSS exists), we needn't touch kubernetes with a 100 foot poll.
> Just because everyone is jumping about K doesn't mean it makes sense as a
> universal solution.
>
> Anyway, there's already a lot of work from IBM indicating that zOS will
> become just another dumb box that's controllable by the kuberlords (not using
> this term in a derogatory manner, just referring to container people, usually
> distributed folks).

I don’t have a a problem with that. I recently saw a demo from IBM where they
spun up a z/OS system running on OCP on Linux for Z. IBM has written a large
collection of Ansible modules to do useful things like define a DB2 system, IMS
system gens, CICS stuff etc. I was impressed. We have Ansible where I work and
can stand up development z/OS images on z/VM. Very handy if you doing systems
level programming and don’t want to hose the LPAR you share with your team.
This new stuff was next level.