> You didn't bother to cite any reference, so I am highly skeptical.
> I looked for this "announcement" and didn't find it.

How could you not find official references when so many people are infuriated.
For instance, see
https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/red-hats-commitment-open-source-response-gitcentosorg-changes
 where a RedHat VP tries to calm the rage.
 > Linux is licensed under the GPL.

Access to IBM RHEL executable and source access now requires paying for
services and signing an NDA. Technically, they are following GPL by providing
source with executables but not in the spirit of GPL by restricting access to
the executables. Remember that IBM RHEL is not the only company to restrict
access. Google, Amazon and others have modified Linux and yet access has been
restricted. In fact, Google goes so far as to maintain Chromium OS and Chrome
OS both of which are Linux distros. One is open source and the other is
restricted.

> Db2 has been available for Linux for many years.

DB2 for Linux and Windows is not DB2 for z/OS.

> What is a "sysplexed Linux"?

Sysplex is the ability to tightly couple up to 32 z16 boxes. At the moment,
z/OS is the OS of choice for utilizing sysplex. Linux today does not take full
advantage of sysplex. For example, Linux DB2 on each of the 32 boxes are unique
databases. On the other hand, z/OS DB2 on those same 32 boxes uses a shared
database fully accessible by each box without dependance on the other 31 boxes.
In theory, 6,400 cores have full access to the database instead of 200 cores
available to a single z16 Max200.
    On Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 09:09:00 AM PDT, Tom Marchant
<0000000a2a8c2020-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

 On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 00:47:04 +0000, Jon Perryman <jperr...@pacbell.net> wrote:

>IBM RHEL announced it's move to closed source (IBM RedHat Enterprise Linux).

You didn't bother to cite any reference, so I am highly skeptical. I looked for
this "announcement" and didn't find it.

Linux is licensed under the GPL. It does not belong to IBM, and they have no
legal right to "close source" it, or anything derived from it. Maybe they think
that their lawyers are powerful enough to steal the GNU/Linux operating system
with impunity, but it is bad PR, at the very least.

>With some changes, DB2, RACF and other z/OS products could run in Linux on z16

Of course, they could. Db2 has been available for Linux for many years.

>in one sysplexed Linux image.

What is a "sysplexed Linux"?

--
Tom Marchant