Jon Perryman wrote on 7/19/2023 8:00 PM:

Sysplex is the ability to tightly couple up to 32 z16 boxes.
I know what Sysplex is, and it is decades older than z16.
Sysplex is a software construct, not hardware, although certain hardware is
required to implement it.

Sysplex is both software combined with hardware constructs. Shared dasd,
coupling facilities and other hardware combined with various software
components are required for sysplex.

At the moment, z/OS is the OS of choice for utilizing sysplex.
No. z/OS (and MVS before it) is the operating system that implements Sysplex.
It is not something implemented in hardware that z/OS utilizes.
.
Without required structures in the coupling facility, you can't have sysplex.
You may not be aware of these structures but nonetheless they are a hardware
requirement for sysplex.

Well then, what is my 4-image sandbox "sysplex", running under some z/VM (bleah) (in an LPAR... bleah), using 4 guests, using another z/VM guest as the "coupling facility"?  Sure feels like a sysplex (except that anything running under z/VM is visibly slower), and the CF VM guest sure seems to implement sysplex in software.  There are virtual paths defined from the 4 z/OS guests to the CF guest.  In this setup, where's the CF hardware claimed to be required for sysplex?

/Leonard

P.S.  z/OS won't be obsolete in 5 years, we just don't know what it will be called.