Hello Listers,

I have a question about how additional extents for a dataset are chained
together for files on EAV volumes.

If I understand correctly:
- The format 8 record has slots to keep track of the first 3 extents of a
dataset (DS1EXT1/DS1EXT2/DS2EXT3).

- If there are more than 3 extents, the DS1PTRDS will point to a format 9 record

- The format 9 record contains pointers in the DS9F3 area to point to up to 10
format 3 records

- Each format 3 record can point to up to 10 extents

- The DS9PTRDS description contains the text:

  "FORWARD CHAIN POINTER (CCHHR) TO THE NEXT FORMAT 9 DSCB
-> OR TO THE FIRST FORMAT 3 DSCB IF DATA SET HAS MORE THAN 3 EXTENTS.
OTHERWISE ZERO."

There wouldn't be a format 9 record if there weren't more than 3 extents.  So I
think the comment on the DS9PTRDS field is confusing.

It seems there are 2 ways extents could be chained via the DSxPTRDS fields:

DS9PTRDS -> the next FMT 9 record, whose DS9PTRDS -> another FMT 9 record,
or
DS9PTRDS -> the next FMT 3 record, whose DS3PTRDS -> another FMT 3 record

My question is:
If there are more than 13 extents, will the DS9PTRDS always point to another
format 9 record?  Or are there circumstances when it will point to a format 3
record?

Or, maybe restated:
What will the DS3PTRDS field contain when the format 3 record has been pointed
to by a format 9 record, when there is another format 3 record?

The graphics in
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.5.0?topic=components-data-set-control-block-dscb-types
 show DS3PTRDS->another format 3 for non-EAV records, but they don't show
multiple format 9 records.

Thanks for your help!

Wendell