On Fri, 21 Jul 2023 16:46:26 -0500, Wendell Lovewell wrote:

>Hello Listers,
>
>I have a question about how additional extents for a dataset are chained
>together for files on EAV volumes.
>
>If I understand correctly:
>- The format 8 record has slots to keep track of the first 3 extents of a
>dataset (DS1EXT1/DS1EXT2/DS2EXT3).
>
>- If there are more than 3 extents, the DS1PTRDS will point to a format 9
>record

For format-8, the DS1PTRDS will always point to a format 9 record.
In DFSMSfp Advanced Services, describing DS1PTRDS, it says
"In a format-1 DSCB this can be a pointer (CCHHR) to a format-2 or format-3 DSCB
 or be zero. In a format-8 DSCB this always is the CCHHR of a format-9 DSCB."

Notice that for format-8 it doesn't say "or zero". Therefore every F8 has an F9.
I have seen this in a VTOC dump, even for data sets with 1 extent.
In that case the F9 was all hex 00's except the one hex F9 byte

>- The format 9 record contains pointers in the DS9F3 area to point to up to 10
>format 3 records
>
>- Each format 3 record can point to up to 10 extents

13 extents.

>- The DS9PTRDS description contains the text:
>
>  "FORWARD CHAIN POINTER (CCHHR) TO THE NEXT FORMAT 9 DSCB
>-> OR TO THE FIRST FORMAT 3 DSCB IF DATA SET HAS MORE THAN 3 EXTENTS.
>OTHERWISE ZERO."
>
>There wouldn't be a format 9 record if there weren't more than 3 extents.  So
>I think the comment on the DS9PTRDS field is confusing.

There is always at least one format 9 for each format 8.

>It seems there are 2 ways extents could be chained via the DSxPTRDS fields:
>
>DS9PTRDS -> the next FMT 9 record, whose DS9PTRDS -> another FMT 9 record,
>or
>DS9PTRDS -> the next FMT 3 record, whose DS3PTRDS -> another FMT 3 record

I don't think there are ever more than two FMT 9 records, but new F9 subtypes
might be added some day.
Two FMT 9 records are more than enough for the maximum 255 extents.
I'm not sure if there is still a limit of 16 extents, even though the design
allows more.

>My question is:
>If there are more than 13 extents, will the DS9PTRDS always point to another
>format 9 record?  Or are there circumstances when it will point to a format 3
>record?

ITYM more than 16 extents. It would take more than 133 extents (3 + 10 * 13) to
need a second F9.

>Or, maybe restated:
>What will the DS3PTRDS field contain when the format 3 record has been pointed
>to by a format 9 record, when there is another format 3 record?
>
>The graphics in
>https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.5.0?topic=components-data-set-control-block-dscb-types
> show DS3PTRDS->another format 3 for non-EAV records, but they don't show
>multiple format 9 records.

Bill