On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 18:26:29 -0400, Rick Troth wrote:

>Here's a neat trick: you can make a hard link to a sym-link.

I believe that's not required for POSIX conformance.  But I may
be misled by the lack of that ability in the "ln" utility.

>There are only a handful of actual file *types*:
>
>  * plain file
>  * directory
>  * character special (like a terminal)
>  * block special (like a disk drive or partition thereof)
>  * symbolic link
>  * and a couple others added by OMVS ... really

A colleague said, "Everything is a file."  OS/360 aimed for that
target with the abstraction of DD names, but missed by exposing
hardware characteristics with "attributes" such as RECFM=FBM.
OMVS recovered considerable with access methods that generate
RDWs, etc. as specified by the DCB.  (But they don't synthesize
the carriage control character. )

CMS doesn't even try, having distinct system calls for each device
type.

--
gil