> A colleague said, "Everything is a file."  OS/360 aimed for that
> target with the abstraction of DD names, but missed by exposing
> hardware characteristics with "attributes" such as RECFM=FBM.

That was not an OS/360 design goal, but I don't believe that there is any
conflict between attributes and "everything is a file" and, in fact, Unix has
attributes. Where OS/360 falls short of that non-goal is that there is not a
uniform naming system for "everything"; it's UNIT=foo instead of something like
DSN=DEV.foo.

I would not classify RECFM as device dependent, but I would agree that, e.g.,
SPACE is, at least partially.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3