>On Saturday, July 29, 2023 at 03:26:45 PM PDT, Rick Troth <tro...@gmail.com>
 >wrote:
> I don't follow your comparison of PDS/e and Unix filesystems.

Understanding PDS/e inefficiency is critical to understand because it is the
functional equivalent of a Unix filesystem. Put on your z/OS DASD sysprog hat
for a moment and think about the problems caused by a 10TB PDS/e file with
thousands of members being written and read by hundreds of users at the same
time. As DASD sysprog, you can't change anything to make this file perform
efficiently. Each block is written to a random available block in this 10TB
file. Deleting files free's blocks which may cause the disk head to bounce
around the disk. You can make VSAM and sequential files efficient but you are
at the mercy of PDS/e.

Anyone remember compressing a PDS or defragging MS Windows disk? PDS/e and
filesystems suffer from fragmentation and more.

> Some features of Unix (and Linux) filesystems are a step up from historical
> MVS data sets

There are problems with both. I disagree that filesystems are a step up from
MVS data sets. When did you last defrag a sequential z/OS file? I know that
architecturally, filesystems and PDS/e are different but conceptually they are
the same. We could talk about implementation but then we ignore why filesystems
perform badly for Windows, Linux, z/OS Unix and other OS's.

    On Saturday, July 29, 2023 at 03:26:45 PM PDT, Rick Troth