I assumed that too (and laughed aloud at the time).

The man who introduced me to computer programming (blessings upon him!) got us
writing code the very first day.  I remember him asking us "so you have to
write a program that compares two numbers and tells you which one is greater.
What's the first thing the program has to do?"  After a few wrong guesses from
us (write out the bigger number?  Look at the two numbers?) he said "You have
to GET THE FIRST NUMBER", and he wrote GET NUMBERA on the board.  I suppose he
spent a (very) little time explaining about a variable name before getting us
to tell him that the second statement should be GET NUMBERB.

The class was in PL/1, so GET and PUT were right there waiting for him to use
without having to explain very much.

I don't know whether it was because of this approach, or because I'm just
naturally drawn to such things (and there's no doubt I am), or maybe I've
simply forgotten after all these years what it was like to learn a computer
language for the first time.  But most computer languages seem pretty obvious
to me.  Oh, I wasted some time being confused about the concept of methods in
VBA, when I first started using it, and of course APL is an exception.  So,
maybe, is LISP, though I never seriously tackled it.  But it never seemed to me
that COBOL statements were any easier to learn, or more intuitive, than those
of FORTRAN or Basic.

And the structure!  All that stuff about the four divisions, and especially the
ENVIRONMENT division, I didn't find them intuitive at all.

But I'm not so much saying that you're wrong about COBOL being easy to learn as
that personally I find ALL languages easy to learn - and that may be just an
idiosyncrasy of mine, especially having learned a number of them.

And by the way, we were six weeks into that PL/C class when I ran across
someone taking COBOL the same semester.  They were just learning about the
concept of loops, and had not yet written their first program.  That's a
terrible way to learn coding, for which I blame not COBOL but their instructor.
 If for my sins I ever have to teach a COBOL class, I may not be able to get
them writing PROCEDURE DIVISION statements the first day, but surely by the
second...

---

/* It is always the right time to do the right thing.  -Martin Luther King, Jr.
*/