On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 15:22:10 -0400, Bob Bridges wrote:

>    ....  Ok, so I'm a software geek, I admit it.  But there are tasks for
> which I like PL/1, or VBA, or REXX (or ooRexx), and so on.
>
>"Need"?  Maybe not absolutely must have, but they're sure helpful.

I thought PL/1 is "The only programming language you'll ever need."

However, COBOL can be coded using everyday, non-specialized English
vocabulary such as "LEVEL 77".

How does performance  of MVS 3.8 on  Hercules compare with the original
hardware?

>ASK YOURSELF: Name 1 fundamental difference between a PDS/e and a Unix
>filesystem.

Cross-directory links and symbolic links

Remember that CKD DASD, VSAM, and PDSE are all emulated nowadays
on FBA disks.

>The story falsely claims Cobol is an ancient language. Big data, clustering
>and more are hidden by z/OS. VSAM is simple and efficient to use in Cobol but
>Linux programmers must use databases for the same purpose.

What;s wrong with a database?  Isn't VSAM just a z-peculiar instance of a
database.

There should be an "advocacy" sub-list.  Whom are you trying to convert?

--
gil