Worked at Revco drug stores a few decades ago. We used to sell shave cream
below cost in order to sell customers large margin items related to shaving.
Blades, razors, & after shave. We had a system designed specifically for this
purpose called market basket analysis. Revco made some bad decisions, went
bankrupt, emerged under a guy called grave dancer, (Sam Zell) who cut to the
bone, and sold Revco to CVS. Making billions.

Companies make bad decisions all the time. The key is to try and make more good
decisions than bad. One thing I’ve found having worked at 15 different
companies is that most managers and executives are no smarter than the low
level employees.

I worked at Phar Mor for 3 years during their bankruptcy and the CEO (Mickey
Monus) went to prison for a decade for fraud. So did 2 of his executives Pat
Finn & Jeff Walley. People called Phar Mor the next great retailer. Until the
fraud came to light.

Most of the retailers around when I was a kid are gone. Sears, K-Mart,
Woolworth, (later Woolco) Montgomery Ward, & others are long gone. Was it bad
decisions or just changes to the retail industry? Perhaps a combination.

Many of the mainframe hardware providers are gone. So are most of the software
companies. Mostly through consolidation or their inability to keep up with
IBM’s mainframe technology.

People submit requests for changes to IBM all the time. Just because 1 or 2
shops/people might think something is important, it undoubtedly goes through
analysis to determine its viability and costs benefit.

I’d like more than a 12 gallon gas tank on my hybrid car to increase its range
from 500 miles to 660 but I doubt Toyota is willing to make the Avalon with 2
gas tank size options.
Citigroup, one of the world’s biggest banks, back in 2008, almost went belly
up. They were bailed out basically, had to do a reverse stock split and
survived.

Many/Most of the companies I worked for in 45 years are no longer around. Some
from bankruptcy, some via merger/acquisition.

The fact that IBM has survived for over 100 years, speaks to their ability to
make decisions which have kept them at the forefront of IT. Have they made bad
decisions? Of course.

As others are pointing out in the other thread, the cloud isn’t the panacea
many thought. Many transitioned because they were sold the “shave cream” loss
leader and now the cloud players want to capitalize on it.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Monday, August 7, 2023, 2:26 PM, Crawford Robert C (Contractor)