Starting with zEC12 the 4 common ways to clear a register are identical
speed: LHI/LGHI, XR, SR, SLR.  On earlier models it varied due to
differences in pipeline implementation and going way back, to limitations
in microcode.  For current machines there is a lot of capability for
implementing optimization context, so it isn't so much single instructions
being optimized but the outcome of a sequence.  Clearing a register is
recognized as a trivial special case (IBM has the patent).