> On Monday, August 7, 2023 at 09:51:25 AM PDT, Dave Jones
 > <d...@vsoft-software.com> wrote:

> Cloud was the go-to choice for the past five years, but we could see
> traditional systems become more viable. Savvy architects consider all the
> options

>From my perspective, cloud is now loosely interpreted and blurred its
>boundaries. It's an API to access a cloud. There are various implementations
>of cloud APIs but we all understand, use and build API's. A cloud is made of
>traditional systems. Implement the server side of a cloud API and you have a
>cloud. Everything that cloud does is vague to people outside the cloud, thus a
>cloud.

Much of the components of cloud pre-existed cloud. For instance, it's rumored
that Gene Amdahl invented clustering while working for IBM. Today it's often a
major component of cloud.

I have no problem with people saying cloud but realize like z/OS it's mostly a
configuration of software components to solve a problem.

To say cloud was the go-to choice ignores that for most people, cloud is simply
service providers (e.g. Amazon AWS or Google cloud). You leave a major portion
of the work and trustworthiness to these service providers. Scaling lowers the
expense of Google's cloud thru their 5,500,000 servers. The article never
mentions many of the true costs to a company using Google cloud. Are they
accessing your data. Owning the servers means you can see everything but using
the cloud means you see nothing and trust it does everything you need.

    On Monday, August 7, 2023 at 09:51:25 AM PDT, Dave Jones
Cloud was the go-to choice for the past five years, but we could see
traditional systems become more viable. Savvy architects consider all the
options.
https://www.infoworld.com/article/3704228/cloud-may-be-overpriced-compared-to-on-premises-systems.html
DJ