From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Bill Johnson
Sent: Tuesday, August 8, 2023 1:29 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: Cloud may be overpriced compared to on-premises systems

No, I wasn’t including the UK. I’ve been to England twice, Ireland, Northern
Ireland, & Scotland. I never drove in the UK. Perhaps fearful of driving on the
left side. I took tours via bus or van, (Bath, Stonehenge) and rail to Windsor.
Tours (bus, rail, van, car) in Scotland, Ireland, & Northern Ireland.

The highways in Europe are just as big as US highways. And that’s what we are
talking about. Not back roads.

The trucks in Europe don’t pass much. Because the max speed is 54 MPH. And they
are all doing the max. It’s truly unusual to watch. Cars are flying by what is
a long line of trucks. Looks like a convoy. And the trucks are much smaller
than US trucks.

Americans also don’t understand the autobahn. Most think it is 1 road with
unlimited speed limit. It’s not 1 road and the unlimited speeds aren’t on the
entire length of road but actually goes down near cities. In fact, it goes down
below where most US highways limit is within cities. For the safety of people.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Tuesday, August 8, 2023, 1:58 PM, Jeremy Nicoll
<jn.ls.mfrm...@letterboxes.org> wrote:

On Tue, 8 Aug 2023, at 14:07, Bill Johnson wrote:
> I’ve driven roads in Europe.

Which definition of Europe are you using?  That is, are you including the uK
(recently in the EU but no longer)?

>Every truck is in the right most lane, unless they are passing which
>isn’t common.

Isn't it?  Do you think the faster ones drive over the slower ones, then?

> It’s nothing like the US

Did anyone ever suggest it might be?  I've never been in the US, but I've
driven tour coaches in France albeit not all that recently.

 > trucking which is designed for large trucks and fast speeds.

The US roads you're talking about - and the European ones - are presumably just
the (UK) motorways, German autobahns etc.

There's significantly smaller roads in a lot of places.  Eg there are no
motorways in Scotland north of Perth or thereabouts.  But the supermarkets
still send 44 ton trucks up there.  They are not able to travel fast.

> In Germany and other European Union counties, trucks with a gross
> vehicle weight rating of 3.5 tonnes (7,700 pounds) or more must have a
> governor that limits their speed to 90 kph (54 miles per hour).

There must be some exceptions to that, maybe in older vehicles.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.