On 8/14/23 3:16 PM, Bob Bridges wrote:

> My hang up is that -- as I understand it -- DOS was /never/ IBM's to start
> with.

> DOS was /Microsoft's.

Again, if you want some insights, you can watch
https://youtu.be/Qc5khH5gllg?t=339 that seems to be the prevalent story. Is
this different from the story as you understand it?

1. MS-DOS did not exist prior to IBM / Bill Gates meeting.

2. IBM wanted a new OS. IBM contractred Gates to create this OS which was to be
called PC DOS.

3. Because IBM was gun shy from anti-trust lawsuits, it chose to exclude
ownership of PC DOS thus allowing PC-DOS to be sold as MS-DOS by Microsoft.

Microsoft was not the sole owner of DOS. One piece of software was owned by IBM
and Microsoft. It was IBM's choice not to retain sole ownership of DOS.