On 8/17/23 11:31, Tom Longfellow wrote:
I am confused and am throwing out a Hail Mary for help.   Here is the situation.
Two cloned LPARs.  (same sysres and unix root file systems)

On system 1 - the /etc/profile   has a PS1 of
     export PS1="[\\u@\\H \\W \\@]\\$ "

On system 2 - the /etc/profile  has a PS1 of
    export PS1="[\\u@\\H \\W \\@]\\$ "

Why YES they do look the same... at least they do to me.
-=-=-=
The results however are very different.

On system one the displayed PS1 is
    [TECH905@jismvs_test ~ 11:26 AM]$

On system two the displayed PS1 is
   [\u@\H \W \@]$
-=-=-=-=
I am using the same SHELL program in my environment.  (/usr/bin/bash)

Anybody have any ideas why the two different LPARs are reading the same string
but interpreting it in two different ways?
My suspect is some dark secret settings in the Unix file system.   Total Guess

Good comments in other responses, in particular: code page concerns (square brackets, back-tick, stuff like that).

I've struggled to get things to play right with the Unix standard. /etc/profile should be sourced at login, but is not always. Also, people lately have turned to "RC scripts" (like ~.bashrc). Avoid these for PROFILING. Long story.

Some suggestions, things to check:

 * confirm that both systems are giving you BASH (because the PS1
   you're showing is an extension from original Bourne)
 * confirm that BASH is at the same level
 * confirm that /etc/profile is getting sourced *and* that something
   else is not changing things after the fact
 * look for ~.profile (which is supposed to take effect *after*
   /etc/profile, giving you final control)
 * avoid ~.bashrc and other RC scripts (in the near term, until you've
   fixed this)
 * check your code pages, including file tagging

I hope this helps.

-- R; <><

send email tolists...@listserv.ua.edu  with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN