Bob Bridges wrote on 8/16/2023 8:23 AM:
Too many years ago; I don't remember.  And it isn't as if "unintuitive" is a
fatal error in editors or any other application; TECO (anyone ever use
that?) is a powerful editor - it was on the PDP platform as I recall - with
early automation features that I used extensively, and it was full of odd
uses for <ESC> and '$' and some other characters, but it did a good job -
once I was used to it.  But whatever this Unix editor was, a half hour
wasn't enough for me to learn much about it or get used to anything.

---

/* People who can't distinguish between "etymology" and "entomology" bug me
in ways I cannot put into words.  -Tal Waterhouse */

IBM-MAIN relevancy:  ISPF EDIT still rules!  (But now I should learn regexps.)

I never tried TECO, after reading "Real Programmers Don't Use PASCAL" 40 years ago.  Extract:

        Some of the concepts in these Xerox editors have been incorporated into
editors running on more reasonably named operating systems -- EMACS and VI
being two.  The problem with these editors is that Real Programmers consider "what you see is what you get" to be just as bad a concept in Text Editors as it is in women.  No the Real Programmer wants a "you asked for it, you got it" text editor -- complicated, cryptic, powerful, unforgiving, dangerous. TECO, to
be precise.

        It has been observed that a TECO command sequence more closely
resembles transmission line noise than readable text [4].  One of the more
entertaining games to play with TECO is to type your name in as a command line
and try to guess what it does.  Just about any possible typing error while
talking with TECO will probably destroy your program, or even worse --
introduce subtle and mysterious bugs in a once working subroutine.