Gil wrote:
> Is he too sharp tobe wrong?
Of course not. Why would you say that? I just meant that he was explicit about
it, had used variables/symbols wherever possible, couldn't get them to work in
this case.

>What's he mean by "not just the single SET statement for each."?
>It appears as if one SET can't govern multiple applied occurrences.
>In what language is that true?  Did it antedate "DD *,SYMBOLS=JCLONLY"?
It means that you set the variable and use it and it *doesn't get substituted*
in these cases. So the job fails with
INVALID DATA SET &whatever.

And yes, this most certainly predates z/OS 2.1. The SYMBOLS= stuff might help
here; will tinker, thanks! (Yes, you mentioned it before, but I didn't quite
take it in.)