I just found some old JCL for EasyProc and sure enough, it's coded like:
//PROCLIB DD DSN=TED013.PROCLIB,DISP=SHR

... with a DD. But that doesn't mean it went through standard DD allocation. All this happened early in the JCL scanning and conversion. The "DD" and maybe even the DISP=SHR was probably just for consistency.