Thanks to y'all helping me fumble through this, I have my SMP/E installation
jobs working with a single INCLUDEd member that sets all the variables.

I think I know the answer here, having spent a while reading the docs, but I'll
still ask about the two remaining nits:

1.      Is there a way to say "Do the INCLUDE from the same library where you
found this JCL?" (I expect not, because I don't think the JCL has any
association with that library by the time it's submitted)
2.      On the SMP/E RECEIVE command, I believe that in 99.44% (or higher)
cases, an RPREFIX will be needed. And I can specify this using a variable
(now!). In the unlikely event that no RPREFIX is needed, it appears from my
testing that you cannot just say
   RECEIVE SYSMODS RFPREFIX() .
or, more precisely:
  RECEIVE SYSMODS RFPREFIX(&RPREFIX) .
where &RPREFIX is null. Is that correct? I can handle this via doc and
comments, but of course would rather not if there's a way around it.

To recap, the goal here is just to make our SMP/E installation as easy as
possible for the increasing number of customers for whom it seems to be a
mystery. Yes, that's worrisome; no, I can't fix it. What I can do is try to
keep them from blowing their fingers off as much as possible by making it as
easy as possible.

Thanks,

...phsiii