On 6/09/2023 7:34 am, Phil Smith III wrote:
To recap, the goal here is just to make our SMP/E installation as easy as
possible for the increasing number of customers for whom it seems to be a
mystery. Yes, that's worrisome; no, I can't fix it. What I can do is try to
keep them from blowing their fingers off as much as possible by making it as
easy as possible.

IBM's answer to this would be to recommend installing using a portable software instance through z/OSMF. That will deliver the whole SMP/E environment pre-built, and the customer doesn't need to do any SMP/E for installation. They can still install maintenance using SMP/E, and you can be reasonably confident that the SMP/E environment is configured correctly so they can install maintenance.

There are some downsides (new stuff to learn etc.) but given your goal and the fact that IBM is pushing people to z/OSMF installation anyway, it's worth considering.

--
Andrew Rowley
Black Hill Software