-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Leonard D Woren
Sent: Wednesday, September 6, 2023 19:18

One day the company got authorization for a new account type.  A few days later
we get a call that the new account type wasn't broken out separately on some
report.  A group of us assembler programmers managed to find the source.  In
DYL250, which none of us knew although I had a vague awareness of how DYL250
worked.  So with about 5 of them gathered around, I open up the source in what
passed for an online editor.  We stared at it, decided to clone "this" line to
"over there", "change this column to xyz", "no it has to be higher up", etc.
After a few minutes of this, I saved the updated source and ran it and it
worked. From that I conclude that "a good programmer doesn't have to know
what's doing."  I don't know Pascal, but I modified a Pascal program once.  (It
was torture.) In my career, I've modified a few programs in languages that I
don't know.  I'll stick with HLA, although I keep saying I need to learn
Metal/C.