From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of Bob
Bridges <robhbrid...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 6, 2023 8:13 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: There are good bosses and then there are the other kind

I remember our group showing up early for an interdepartmental meeting.  Our
boss spent the time we waited deriding management's latest decisions.  Then the
bosses showed up and he praised their wisdom and leadership.  Not very smart;
even thinking that sort of thing in your own private head is dangerous, but to
just out and say it in front of your subordinates...?

/* ...in your bedchamber do not curse a king, and in your sleeping rooms do not
curse a rich man, for a bird of the heavens will carry the sound, and the
winged creature will make the matter known.  -Ecclesiastes 10:20 */

I've had the other kind too; in fact it seems to me I've had a bunch of them.
The very best one came to me privately one day, saying he'd assigned a coding
task to a coworker and he'd decided the coworker wasn't up to it, so would I
mind volunteering my lunch hours for the next <unknown> days and the boss and I
would hit a meeting room and work on it together?  We never breathed a word of
it to anyone else, and what I principally remember about those days was that
EVERY SINGLE TIME we disagreed about how or at what point something had to be
done in the code, he turned out to be right and I wrong.  Every time.  I'm used
to being the smart one in the room, but not around him.

---

/* Personally, I don't want politicians presuming to feel my pain; I'm happy if
they respect my privacy.  -Joseph Sobran, 1999 */