On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 13:27:28 -0500, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aol.com> wrote:
>>On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:06:38 +0000, Farley, Peter wrote:
>>Perform setenv(). Adds, changes, or deletes an environment variable in the
>>environment list.
>No.  Single Unix says:
><https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/putenv.html#tag_16_466_03>
>    ..., the string pointed to by string shall become part of the environment,
>    so altering the string shall change the environment.

Maybe we can be more helpful by ignoring the obvious and discussing things that
Dave Cole might get to the answers he is looking for.

Remember that Dave is asking about XDC extracting environment variables using
assembler. My interpretation:
1. He wants access to environment variables from various processes and address
spaces at the same time (not specific to the breakpoint).
2. He needs to deal with IBM C, SAS/C, and Metal C. It's been many years but I
think CICS supports environment variables.
3. He can't depend upon loading DLL support. Does SRB, SVC, PC routines and ???
have direct knowledge of environment variables.

I think that once Dave finds the first environment variable, it will be an
array because it needs to be compatible with user programs that may search it.
I'm not sure how z/OS UNIX gets to that variable. Maybe a look at os.environ
would lead to the answer.

Dubbing can occur in all address spaces. I don't know if dubbing creates
environment variables. Maybe the USS news group has a mapping of CB's created
by dubbing. Maybe they know the CB that points to environment variables.

Shell design has shell variables which include environment variables. This
might need to be considered. Not sure if they are included in the standard
calls.